Coleman was incorporated as a Village in 1887 and became a 4th Class City in 1905. In 1969 Coleman voted to become a Home Rule City abolishing the system of wards for a Mayor and City Council. Electricity came to Coleman in 1910 and a city water system in 1951. A city wide sewer was installed in 1970. The new water tower was added in 1987.
In recent years Coleman has seen the addition of the Pere Marquette Rail trail, a walking and bike trail running east 22 miles from Coleman to downtown Midland. This portion of the trail was completed in the fall of 1994. The trail now runs west 10 miles to Clare. And completed in 2002, the Coleman Area Library moved into its new building.
SOURCE: City of Coleman